Why Choose a Land-Based Program Instead of a Cruise?
Besides crowded conditions, lack of privacy and, of course, seasickness, there are still a myriad of reasons land-based programs offer more flexibility:
- You can dive AND go on island excursions. With a cruise, you can either dive or go ashore, but not both. Cruises have a fixed itinerary and you must comply.
- Not everyone can handle wet landings (or even a dinghy) in order to go ashore.
- Ease parental anxiety by eliminating the worry of child overboard.
- Shopping in town is not limited to a single, dedicated excursion.
- Ability to get to know local people and businesses as well as absorb some of the individual islands’ culture.
- We will never assign you to a group called ‘boobies’ on excursions.
- We promise you won’t bump your head in the shower through no fault of your own.
- Meals can be much more enjoyable without rolls and bumps. You never have to share a table with strangers unless you want to.
- We will do your laundry on the same day with zero pollution in the sea.
- Internet is not only available, but free.
- Privacy is not confined to a tight space and peace and quiet is a given.
More reading: Top Reasons to Book a Land Based Galapagos Adventure
Reduced Ecological Footprint
We believe our land-based programs have a greatly reduced ecological footprint (relative to a cruise) and better support the local communities for the following reasons:
- Less fuel used in short trips compared to constant idling and motoring of cruise ships.
- Smaller tour groups, therefore less impact than the hundreds cruises may host.
- Larger boats cannot even send groups to some islands, such as Isla Isabela.
- No pollution possibilities such as disposal of grey water at sea or garbage being thrown into the sea.
- Money spent by visitors ALWAYS benefits local communities.