Wondering what to bring on a Galapagos vacation?
The trick is to pack light, but make sure you cover the essentials for hiking, swimming, and walking in a hot, humid environment.
Warm season is Dec – May, where the temperature is hotter. Rainy season is June – Dec, although the temperature is still quite warm, you should nevertheless have a jacket for evenings.
Read more about weather in the Galapagos here. Also, if spending time in Quito or Guayaquil on your way to the Galapagos, make sure to pack clothes for there as well (Quito is usually cold and rainy, where Guayaquil has hot, humid weather similar to the Galapagos).
What to Bring to Galapagos
When packing for your trip to the Galapagos, remember that there is laundry service veru close to the hotel so packing light is easier.
Clothes and Shoes
- Lightweight pants, preferably quick-dry fabric
- Shirts (t-shirts or tank-tops and light-weight long-sleeve for sun protection)
- A sweater or jacket
- A hat with sun protection
- Rain jacket
- Comfortable shoes for walking
- Waterproof sandals Teva-style (for walking/snorkeling expeditions)
- A small backpack
- Camera/video-camera (preferably with a telephoto lens to zoom in on animals , and another wide angle for photos of the amazing Galapagos landscapes)
- Camera chargers, or extra batteries
- Extra memory cards
- Waterproof camera for underwater photography and video
- Sunblock (recommend SPF 50+)
- Insect repellent
- Aloe vera
- Personal medications
- Motion sickness pills
- Credit and ATM cards
- Cash – Note that you need USD $116 to pay the Galapagos National park entrance fee and Ingala card and a tip for your guide. Many of the shops and day tour operators only accept cash, although there is an ATM in Puerto Ayora.
- Binoculars for bird-spotting
- Your favorite packaged snacks (note that fruit, nuts, and other fresh produce are not allowed into the Galapagos)
- A good book (nights in the Galapagos can be quiet), and there are some excellent books about the Galapagos to learn more.
Happy travels and let us know how your trip was in comments!